Search Drought Smart Plants here:
Panty Hose Wreath; an update
(Grand Forks, B.C.)
It seemed to take forever for the plants to really take off in the wreaths I made from panty hose; the roots cling to the fabric and eventually work their way inside to the soil, and a few sprinkles of compost tea or water soluble fertilizer soon had them showing their true colors.
I might use these lying down for a centerpiece - like around your umbrella on the table, or you can hang them on a wall or fence. Trim occasionally, and tuck the long strands into place so it fills in any bare spots, and take them down to water on the ground or in a shallow tub.
Because these are all hardy Sedum and Sempervivum, they just stay outside all winter under the snow; luckily, nothing decided to chew on them, and they emerged none the worse for being under two feet of snow.
It will be interesting to see how long these last - I'm imagining that the nylon fabric could eventually break down and they'll get runs in their stockings, but until then, I'll enjoy these gorgeous accent pieces.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Succulent Wreaths.
Panty Hose Succulent Wreaths
(Grand Forks, B.C. Canada)
back image of the wire wreath with the panty hose on
Finding new and creative ways to use succulents is also a lesson in recycling and repurposing. What else can you use your old panty hose for? I made two of these wreaths, and basically made up my own method, before I found some tutorials online.
Here's what I did:
I had picked up two wire wreath frames from the thrift store for $1, and was just waiting for the perfect way to use them.
Digging out some panty hose from storage, I filled both of the legs with potting soil until it was fairly full, but not stuffed. I tied the top of the panty hose in a knot, and then arranged the two legs on the wire frame, one on each side.
Once they were in place, I wound tie wire around to hold them.
The grey one was the first, and I poked holes in it to stick the ends of the Sedum cuttings into it, but on the second one, the black one, I simply put the cuttings in the creases. Hopefully they'll be strong enough to root in to the soil.
I'll leave them for a week or so, until they seem firmly rooted, then I can hang them up.